Lesson 5: Pasture Management
- Don't overgraze! Leave plants about 3-4” tall (minimum).
- Adjust paddock sizes based on the previous days consumption.
- Rule of thumb: Cattle consume 60%, knock down 30% and leave 10% standing.
- Avoid grazing wet areas as pudging may occur.
- If perennials are in short supply, consider broadcast seeding annuals 2-3 days ahead of the cattle.
Cattle are also used to manage grass length for pastured poultry.
The electric reels are our gas pedal and brake to the four legged lawn mowers. We are converting solar energy (sunlight) which is collected by our solar array (grasses, legumes, forbes) into dense, highly nutritious protein with ruminants.